Summary Care Record – version 2 is here!
What is a Summary Care Record? (also know as an SCR)
Your basic Summary Care Record is a short summary of your GP medical record that includes a list of medications you are taking and your allergies or bad reactions to medicines.
Version 2 includes all of the above PLUS additional information that can include information about the management of any Long Term Conditions such as Diabetes, Heart Conditions etc, your relevant medical history including why you take a particular medicine or any clinical procedure you have had, any specific communication needs or preferences about your future care and a list of your Immunisations.
You will already have a basic SCR unless you opted out but you will need to give specific consent for an SCR version 2. If you would like to give consent for the additional information to be added to your SCR please contact our reception team on 01530 414131 who will add your consent to your medical record.
Your SCR can be viewed by other health and care staff who care for you when you are away from home. This can speed up your care and make sure you are given the correct treatment and medication. The healthcare staff will have been given the right levels of security access will always ask your permission to look at your SCR (except in an emergency, where you are unconscious for example).
When an SCR would be useful:
- in an emergency
- when you're on holiday
- when your surgery is closed
- at out-patient clinics
- when you visit a pharmacy
Who would benefit from an SCR with additional information?
- Frail patients who can give consent to out of hours or emergency health care staff, making unwanted admission less likely
- Patients with physical or other disabilities who will benefit from recording any specific communication or health needs
- Patients with carers whose details they want to share
- Non-English speakers
- Patients planning for end of life who can share information about Lasting Power of Attorney or advance care decisions
For further information please click on the link belowPatient Leaflet - Additional Information
Do I have to have an SCR?
No, it is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete the a copy of the form below and bring it along to the surgery.